Carolina History

Preservation and celebration!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Historically Important Information Organization

I have spent the weekend interacting with two of the hottest info sites on the web today. Google Earth and Wikipedia.

Google Earth has so much potential that it is just amazing. Beyond the just put a point on a map and name it, there is an API available that will allow you to do just about anything you want. One significantly lacking Carolina item I saw was a plotted map of the Mountains to Sea Trail. I may tackle this one. Another thought I had was the Greene/Cornwallis march through the Carolinas in the later part of the Revolution. I think that would present well on this system. Ultimately, as I play around with the system and learn it, I would like to start connecting multimedia links to points on the map. For example, a show about Lexington Barbecue would be linked to Lexington, NC. My user name is "historytalks"

Wikipedia is an interesting project. There is a similarity between this and the Oxford English Dictionary build in the early 1900s. Many volunteers helping build the store of human knowledge. I know I have found many of the places I know well not detailed on the site. I have created some "stubs" and contributed to several local articles. I agree with many about the accuracy, but this is a great opportunity to provide accurate information and to report on the history that you know (and can verify). Thanks to my friend Dave for turning me on to this little gem. My user name here is "dnparker" but I am going to try to change it to "historytalks".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home