Carolina History

Preservation and celebration!

Friday, January 27, 2006

Gullah: Sounds from my youth

I (your bloghost) was born in Charleston, SC, in 1970. I have spent many days of my life since then in family homes on the sea islands south of Charleston. Beneath the massive oaks and swaying Spanish mosses, you can still hear the unique sounds of geechee conversations.

I can remember specifically the summer of 1985 spent on Allendale with my Aunt Augusta. She was somewhat distraught that my family had left South Carolina to live in my father's home state of North Carolina. In the weeks we spent together that summer, she regularly spoke Gullah and daily ran through vocabulary words with enunciations. I believe she likened it to a game or entertainment. I don't think she thought I would have retained it these last 20 years.

Gullah speaks to me of the lowcountry and easier times. I think of family, Charleston red rice, boiled shrimp, sweetgrass baskets and warm afternoons. Here are a few links to audio files that give you a sampling of this dialect, its lilt and its prose, as well as where to get out and experience it for yourself.

Gullah: An Introduction - by Aunt Pearlie Sue
Imitation of Gullah Preacher
Oh, the Buford Boat Done Come
Gullah Music with Aunt Pearlie Sue - a great flash site for young and old
The Original Gullah Festival Beaufort, SC
Gullah Celebration

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home